Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The City Does Its Job

Around 11:45 I began to hear the noise of heavy equipment passing my house. I went downstairs, and saw that the "Forestry" division of city services had arrived. They blocked off the southern half of the block with a traffic cone, and arrayed their vehicles to being work. I left about 11:55 to get a Subway foot-long to share with my brother who comes for lunch almost every day. When I returned a few minutes early I put away the sandwich, and went outside to see what progress they were making. They had begun to cut off the larger limbs at the top of the tree, and work their way down.

My brother and I ate lunch, and then I got my camera to record for posterity this (hopefully) once in a lifetime event. The workers went about their business without hurry, but without "breaks" either. They worked as a "crew" with each man doing a task, and little need for shouting.

A tv crew from Channel 11 came out, and took some videos of what was occurring. Since I was on the street, and obviously interested (I had my still camera taking pictures) they asked if I would mind being interviewed. They let me ramble for quite a bit with a little prodding from the attractive blond reporter. Her camera man then asked if he could get some shots of me just doing what I was doing. I took my pictures, and tried to ignore them while they shot what I thought was toward my back, side (I hope the "good" one), and from the front at a slight angle.

From the three minutes (it seemed longer) that I probably talked they may take 10 seconds, or nothing. Oh, well, as Warhol said, maybe that was my "30 seconds of fame" (in Toledo, since we're less populated, reduced to 5-10 seconds).

No comments: