Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Trying To Keep The Lawn Mowed

I have started an annual campaign to keep a few lawns mowed on my block, and near it. I sent the following letter:

Dear Sir or Madam (they have moved to Illinois)
I am writing in regard to your property at 834 South Avenue. I just learned that you moved out a few months ago, and the yard isn’t being maintained. The grass has grown to mid-thigh, and the property will soon become the target of vandals since it is apparent that no one cares enough to maintain it. In the past we’ve had at least three or four fires within a quarter mile of my house that were started by vagrants who decided to take up residence in vacant houses, and used open sources of flame for heat and light.

I would like the job of mowing the lawn. It is within walking distance of my house, and I could use the extra money. I figure my time is worth $10.00/hr. I figure the first mowing might be about two (2) hours worth of work, and maybe 45-60 minutes each week thereafter.. If you are interested in hiring me call.
I have contacted the Division of Code Enforcement, City of Toledo, to let them know my concerns. If you don’t find my terms reasonable they will mow your lawn, and send you a bill.

Enclosed is a photo showing the state of your lawn.

No comments: