Thursday, May 17, 2007

Does The Lucas County Auditor Do It's Job?

Maybe I expect too much from government. I saw a few yards that needed mowing. I decided to go on the AREIS to see if I could find out who owned them since they seemed to be vacant. The property at 438 Langdon Street turned out to be owned by a person with only a P.O. Box for a mailing address.

I sent a letter saying that I would mow his lawn. I then checked AREIS today, and found that the government was already charging him a "specials" taxes of $300.36 a half year (of which $165.71 a half year is for "weed control"). I believe that the enclosed pictures shows this is a "rip-off".

I am thoroughly disgusted with the government that it has the gall to "rip-off" citizens in this manner. This man now owes over $1470 for a piece of bare ground . I should say this ground is "bare" except for the "weeds" that this government is taxing this man to "control". To me, part of the "control" of "weeds" would be mowing. This lot has mowed down both sides, and the middle 30 feet of width left to grown.

His real estate taxes are over $600 a year for land that is valued at $2500. That is almost 25% a year for land that returns nothing to its owner. It's a neat scam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must add that the property tax is 40.54 a year before "specials", and that the property is valued at $2,500. The last time in has a recrod of being sold was for $500.00 with a "quit claim" in 2003.